Fashion is a term that means an “ongoing trend”.
It has existed long before we can imagine. In ancient Greece, wigs were worn along with metal adornments. Women used to plump their lips with bee stings. Pinch their cheeks to redden them before the rose powder was manufactured. Corsets were used to make them look slim. Fashion has sometimes been treated as an accessory but sometimes it takes a turn for extreme like when people used to tie their feet so that they remain small as it was a “fashion” in those days. Their feet were deformed. Girls used to put iron coils in their necks to elongate them as per “fashion”.
Related: STATUS OF WOMEN IN SOCIETY
But, we can’t consider fashion to be bad. It has its good and bad states.
However, in the 21st century, the style trends of the fashion industry dominate the world more than they ever did and control not only the way people dress but also trends on homeward, makeup fashion, and all-over attitude.
Nowadays, fashion is bold and daring which represents a generation that is not afraid to say what they think and wear what they want.
Fashion is not only a way to clothe your body. It is the essence of your personality.
Trends in fashion unify men and women around the world, yet they still allow people to portray their own individual styles. A period of time in a picture can easily be predicted by the style of clothes people are wearing.
Fashion can change from one second to the next but what doesn’t change is its hold over society and the role that it plays in it.
Not only women, but men’s fashion market has also gone up.
Trends are followed, sometimes blindly in everything.
- In phones, people prefer Iphines, Samsung galaxy fold, etc.
- In laptops, MacBooks are considered elite.
- In cars, people prefer Tesla, BMW, Mercedes, etc
- Nowadays, while decorating our homes, we incline towards pastels as they are in trend.
- Buying furniture we prefer Burgundy, dark oakwood, velvets, etc
To keep up with fashion/trends people subscribe to fashion magazines, keep a keen eye on what appears in the shops. Go to fashion shows to see what the designers are putting on the catwalk this season.
“Don’t change to fit the fashion, change the fashion to fit you”.
Online websites have been increased all over the world to deliver things to your doorstep. However, one should decide carefully, do the ongoing trends fit us and the place we live in.
Rule the fashion, don’t let fashion rule you.
You might also like: EDUCATIONAL SYSTEM IN PAKISTAN
Disadvantages of Fashion Industry:
Some may call the fashion industry exploited, corrupted, and overtaken. They have their reasons which cannot be ignored.
- The fashion industry is an important part of the economy, with a value of more than 2.5 trillion $ USD, employing over 75 million people worldwide.
- Fashion makes up 10% of humanity’s carbon emissions, dries up water sources, and pollutes rivers and streams.
- 85% of all textiles go to dump each year.
- 60% of fashion products are made of plastic.
- 20% of industrial wastewater pollution worldwide originates from the fashion industry.
- Clothing production doubled between 2000 and 2014. people bought 60% more garments in 2014 than in 2000, they only kept the clothes half as long.
- Fast fashion has a human cost; textile workers, primarily women in developing countries, are often paid derisory wages and forced to work long hours in appalling conditions.
- The use of chemicals in clothes production also arise serious health concerns, both for the workers and the consumers.
Fashion is a baffling huge industry due to which thousands of houses run. But following it blindly is dangerous.
“Fashion can impress you and depress you”.
The key is not to lose sight of yourself in the glitter and sparkle of today’s world so much that it turns omnious to you.
Written By: Yumna Tariq (YT)